I listened to a story recently that outlined how there is too much information online for many things, including job hunting. So many people write about writing effective resumes, attention-grabbing cover letters, nailing the interview(s) and perfect follow up. Some of the blogs and writers I follow are smack on; others I read and it's total crap. So how do you cull through the crud and know who to believe?
Several things I look for include the following:
- Good, common sense information and advice.
- Clear writing that is easy to understand and follow
- Transparency in presentation
- An online presence on multiple social sites
- Willingness and effort to solicit input and feedback
These aren't guarantees, rather these are guidelines that I use in determining what blogs I follow and material I read. Over the next several weeks I have questions and requests for help that I will highlight and share. Enjoy the weekend!